Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Truck Driving School
The trucking industry is an exciting field with great job opportunities. The College of DuPage Class A CDL Program is high-quality, student-focused training that gives you the skills and experience to get on the road to a well-paying job. Employers know our name and our program - and they trust the quality of our graduates. That is why we have a 100% job placement rate.
Be trained and "ready to roll" with a fully endorsed CDL license in as little as six weeks. Located conveniently at COD's Addison campus, you don't have Learn on the road as you build confidence and gain understanding of the trucking industry and the requirements of safe truck driving. Get started today!
2018 Class Start Dates
Classes are tentatively scheduled to begin on:
- April 2 - Evening Class
- April 16
- June 4
2018 Saturday Information Sessions
Learn about what sets us apart. Representatives of the COD Truck Driving program deliver
an overview of the curriculum, answer your questions and explain the next steps to
Sign up for an information session today!
- April 7
- May 19
- June 23
Unless otherwise indicated, all information sessions listed above are held at 10 a.m. on Saturday mornings at the Addison Center, 301 S. Swift Road, Door 6.
Please inquire about our weekend and evening options!
Class A Commercial Driver's License
240-Hour Course, 6 Weeks, $4,500
Prepare for the CDL examination with in-depth training that includes over-the-road, maneuvers, skills yard, and classroom time. Our experienced instructors also offer extended training such as night driving, trip planning and mapping skills. This program exceeds all requirements of the Illinois Secretary of State to test for the CDL Class A license. Conveniently located in Addison, IL, COD's Truck Driving School is close to Chicago and the suburbs.
- We will provide you with support materials and one-on-one assistance to prepare for the student permit tests you must pass prior to entering your six weeks of training.
- The State of Illinois examiners come to our facility when your course is completed and you are ready to test for your Commercial Driver's License. You will be testing in the yard, on the test routes and in the equipment you have become familiar with during your training.
- Tuition includes full assistance with job placement. To date, we have had a 100 percent placement rate.
- Our partner trucking companies regularly visit the training facility to recruit for their organizations.
- Three license endorsements are included to advance your qualifications: hazardous materials, tankers and double/triple trailers.
Your first step is to schedule an appointment with a program coordinator to complete your application. You will learn key details about the program's pre-course requirements, upcoming information sessions and classes, the permit process, and the related pretesting through the College of DuPage, and receive guidance on what you will need to complete prior to acceptance in the program.
Complete the Program Prerequisites
Before beginning the program, you must have completed the following:
- Provide us with a copy of your current, valid Illinois driving license.
- Provide a copy of your Court Purpose driving record (available at any Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles office)
- Pass the Secretary of State written exams to be issued a student Commercial Driving Permit:
- General Knowledge
- Air Brakes
- Combination Vehicles
- Pass the Department of Transportation (DOT) physical and drug screen. (Cost is included in tuition.)
- Complete your application and registration forms and submit them to the COD Truck Driving School.
What People are Saying
"The COD instructors were very good, with a mix of theory and practical application. They were hands-on and you could tell they had been drivers themselves, which I liked. When I passed the state exam, I had multiple job offers, so I could be selective with the company I chose to go with. I would absolutely recommend COD's CDL program to others." —Butch Sill, CDL Graduate
"I chose COD's truck driving program because of COD's educational reputation, and because they did more in-depth coverage of the material. This is a great program, with great instructors. I went from being unemployed to having three job offers in just over six weeks! I've even recommended it to my sister, who is looking for a job change." —Al Garcia, CDL Graduate
Careers and Job Placement
At this time, the industry is experiencing a significant shortage of licensed drivers. Additionally, employment opportunities for truck drivers are expected to grow with over 290,000 new jobs being created over the next decade. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 21 percent growth for heavy and tractor/trailer drivers through the year 2020. The CDL program can help you follow your dream of driving the open road.
Active job placement assistance is provided both during the program and after licensing.
This program is on the COD approved list for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIoA). Explore financial options for Continuing Education programs.
For more information and to register, call the College of DuPage Truck Driving School at (630) 942-2275 or email email@example.com. The truck school is located in Addison, Illinois, at 301 S. Swift Road, Door 6. You can also visit the Continuing Education office at the College of DuPage campus in Glen Ellyn in the Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 1110. Download our Getting Started Checklist.
See complete College of DuPage Continuing Education program listings in our current Continuing Education catalog.
View our current Business Solutions Featured Programs listing.
College of DuPage Truck Driving School
301 S. Swift Road, Door 6
Addison, Illinois 60101-1495
Get Your CDL at COD
Enter the booming CDL industry with expert training from COD!
Truck Driving CDL Information Session
Get an inside look at the COD Truck Driving School. Sign up for an information session to learn more!
Attend a Continuing Education Information Session.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2018 College of DuPage