ADN Frequently Asked Questions

I'm interested in your Associate Degree Nursing Program, where do I start/ what do I do?

If you are new to College of DuPage, you should start by talking to an Admissions Representative. ((630) 942-2626).

If you have taken classes here before, you should start by attending an Advising Session; these are posted online.

Do I need to be a C.N.A. before I can apply to the A.D.N. program?

You have to take proof of completion of a CNA program to the Admissions Department by the application deadline, and you have to be in the Health Care Worker Registry (pass the competency exam) by the start of the first clinical course. The nursing department will provide the deadline date.

I am a Certified Medical Assistant, will that count for the C.N.A. requirement?


What courses do I need to take before I can apply to the A.D.N. program?

This is found in the online A.D.N. Admissions Requirements packet:

      •  *Math 1102, equivalent or higher with grade C or better
      • *Psych 1100, equivalent or higher with grade C or better
      • A&P 1551 and 1552, OR 1571 and 1572, equivalent or higher with grade C or better
      • *Chem 1211, equivalent or higher with grade C or better

Do the prerequisite courses expire (the ones required before applying to the program)?

Only the A&P courses expire. For the Spring 2016 application cycle, both A&P courses must be completed between March 22, 2010 and March 22, 2016. Refer to the Associate Degree Nursing Admission Packet.

Does A&P 1500 count?

No. You must complete A&P 1551 and 1552 or A&P 1571 and 1572.

When should I attend an advising session?

Attending an advising session should be the first thing you do whether you are a current student or not. Click here for the Advising Session Listing.

      • Group session
      • No registration; no fee
      • Plan to attend the entire session

How long is the HESI A2 (pre-admission exam) good for, and how often can I take it?

HESI A2 scores within 2 years prior to the application deadline can be used. You are allowed to repeat the test every 3 months. Refer to the Associate Degree Nursing Admission Packet.

How do I register for the HESI A2?

You can register online on the Testing Center website.  The exam cost is $60, and is non-refundable.

How do I apply for the 3+1 in Nursing?

Once you have made the decision to pursue the 3+1 Nursing program with either Benedictine University or Governors State University, you need to fill out the "3+1 Program Application".

      • This form can be found in the office of Admissions and Outreach and soon will be on the Admissions website.
      • This application ensures you are receiving the most up-to-date information for anything related to the 3+1 Nursing programs.

After you have been accepted into College of DuPage's Associate Degree Nursing program and you are approximately a semester away from completing the program, you need to submit an admission application to either Governors State University or Benedictine University for their Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program, and follow their application process.

Can I get financial aid for the A.D.N. Program?

Yes, as long as you meet the eligibility requirements. Click here for eligibility details. Additional information can be found on the Understanding your Financial Aid page. Or, you can call the Financial Aid Office at (630) 942-2251.



Contact Information

If you are interested in learning more about this program, please

  1. Attend an advising session
  2. Visit a Health Career Program Advisor by calling (630) 942-2259 to make an appointment.
  3. For information or general inquiries, please send an email to (Please use above phone number only to schedule an appointment. Do not send an appointment request to this email).

Feedback/compliments/concerns regarding this Health Science Program. For general inquiries, please use contact information listed above.

College of DuPage

425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137

(630) 942-2800 (Main)

(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)

  2019 College of DuPage